Reading // August 2017

Friday, September 1, 2017
books read:
~ Necessity (Thessaly #3) by Jo Walton
~ Jem and the Holograms vol.1: Showtime by Kelly Thompson
~ The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #1) by Jessica Townsend (review)
~ The Book of Forgotten Authors by Christopher Fowler (review)
~ Avatar The Last Airbender Smoke and Shadow books 1, 2 & 3 by Gene Luen Yang
~ A Wreath of Snow by Liz Curtis Higgs
~ Spirits of the Sacred Grove by Emma Restall Orr
~ Killing the Black Dog by Les Murray
~ Slow by Brooke McAlary (review)

currently reading:
~ The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu (buddy read)
~ Godsgrave (Nevernight Chronicle #2) by Jay Kristoff (review)
~ Every Word is a Bird We Teach to Sing by Daniel Tammet (review)

Not a bad month for review books, but still could have been a little better. I did enjoy all the review books I read this month, though, so that's definitely awesome. [I won't say much else about the review books, because when I write my reviews you will see my level of gushy-ness. Gushy-ness is totally a word.]

A few graphic novels this month - I decided to try out the first volume of Jem and the Holograms, and it was pretty good! I am a bit scared of one of the characters though - she seems as likely to murder people as to rock out. The Avatar graphic novels were amazing, as per the usual, and I really can't wait for the next ones to come into my local library :D

This month was the Save the Children book sale at the University of WA, and I went along... twice. And ended up with about twenty more books. One of those was a random purchase because of the pretty cover design - A Wreath of Snow by Liz Curtis Higgs. It was... okay. I mean, it was a nice diversion for an hour or two, but I am sad that the insides didn't match up to the beautiful outsides (I have a thing for tartan things and this book had a tartan-coloured spine. Just gorgeous).

A lot of other things I read this month came down to simple curiosity - I wanted to see how the Thessaly books finished up, so I read Necessity (answer: it ended pretty awesomely). I wanted to know more about Les Murray's poetry, so I read a collection that also featured a lecture and some other writing and poetry about depression. I wanted to read more of Emma Restall Orr's work, so I read Spirits of the Sacred Grove and loved it!

Everything I am currently reading is quite amazing, but I can't seem to stop myself from picking up other things, too. I probably realistically have about ten books that I am dipping in and out of, but the three listed above are the ones I am trying to focus on. {Keyword: trying...}

What are you reading at the moment? 

Love to all who read!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top