Reading & Such // January 2017

Wednesday, February 1, 2017
I never did write a 'December Reads' post, or get around to writing my 2016 favourites. Why? To be perfectly honest, I just wasn't feeling it. I sat down to write them out a few times and just... didn't want to.

I love sharing what I read, but I feel like I do this in other places. Plus, as much as I love reading and writing (and I do. LOVE them.), I want this blog to be about more than just books - I want to write more about my health and how I cope (and sometimes, how I don't cope), and I want to invite others to find a nice place of solace here. And that's how this post was born.

I still want to talk about what I have been reading, but I don't want to feel pressured to mention every single book I read if I don't want to. If you want to see the full list, or get more up-to-date news on what I am reading, head over to my goodreads (hit the 'g' button on the right!) and everything will be there for you to peruse. For now, I want to mention the stuff that I loved, and sometimes maybe even throw in some stuff that is not book-related ("what?! oh my stars! such blasphemy!"). We will see how this goes!


So, January. Start of a new year. I had a few goals/hopes/resolutions, but I am not ready to share them yet. For now, just know that I am doing pretty well on some of them, and have yet to really get into others. The first couple of weeks went really, really well. I'm not sure if it was the weather, or something going on with my diet, or just some magical juju, but I felt pretty darn healthy during those two weeks and pretty much started operating like someone without chronic illness. I was going out and doing things, I was getting exercise, it was pretty amazing. Unfortunately, then those two weeks ended and I caught a bug which kind of sent me spiralling.

If you follow me on instagram (link on the right, too!), you'll have seen that I have been having trouble with ovarian cysts lately. These were a problem a few years back, but going back on the contraceptive pill seemed to clear them up. Then one of my doctors told me I was at risk of stroke if I stayed on the pill (due to my migraines), so I stopped taking it, and had another cyst rupture event, which was awful. I can't even properly describe it and, actually, I tend to get pretty teary if I try, so let me just say that I tend to be really worried I am going to die during those times. It's only because I have gotten through them before that I manage to keep myself together. Anyway, another doctor immediately put me back on the pill (she said that with the migraines I was getting, it was actually better for me to be on the pill - such contradicting stuff) and everything seemed fine for a while. Then last week I had another cyst rupture and I have had pain and discomfort ever since. Lots of my symptoms are flaring badly at the moment and I am feeling a bit lost, honestly. I have an option, an opportunity if you will, that I am definitely thinking of taking, but I am so nervous about throwing myself back into getting tests and trying new things. I am scared of hoping again.


That's where I'm at with my health, anyway! Now onto other, less emotional, things!

My reading this month was actually pretty great. Coming out of a small slump towards the end of last year, I managed to read 10 books in January. Some were short stories, some were essays, some were novels, and, of those, four were nonfiction. Not bad! My favourites included: Binti by Nnedi Okorafor, Books for Living by Will Schwalbe, and Vigil by Angela Slatter. I am also pretty darn proud to say that I finally finished Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery - I have tried to read this many times over the years and just didn't get it, but this time something just clicked and I loved the beautiful optimism and scenery of this book. I have to say a big thank you to my brother and his partner for sending the wonderful Puffin in Bloom edition my way - I think that helped me finally get into it!

feast your eyes on this beautiful cover!


I am looking forward to February. I am still a bit scared and sad when it comes to health stuff, but I am remembering my courage, and attempting to move forward anyway. Plus, who knows, maybe even more books will come my way in Feb. The Perth Writer's Festival is on, so it seems possible!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top