Bookish Thoughts: Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Friday, August 19, 2016

"Destined to destroy empires, Mia Corvere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death.

Six years later, the child raised in shadows takes her first steps towards keeping the promise she made on the day that she lost everything.

But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, so if she is to have her revenge, Mia must become a weapon without equal. She must prove herself against the deadliest of friends and enemies, and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and daemons at the heart of a murder cult.

The Red Church is no ordinary school, but Mia is no ordinary student.
The shadows love her.
And they drink her fear."

I haven't always had a great time with Kristoff's books. I was impressed with his Stormdancer books, but ultimately ended up finding them a little to overwhelming - it kind of felt like too many themes jammed into one book. Illuminae, which he co-wrote with Amie Kaufman, was pretty good, but I am a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to zombie books, so there's that.

This one, however, just blew me away. I randomly decided to pick up a copy because it looked interesting and I ended up being kind of obsessed with it. I completely disappeared into it, and loved every single part. There's these little annotations throughout the book (sometimes not so little), and the wry humour with which they are written is just fantastic. Mia as a character is fantastic - strong, sometimes confused, sometimes vulnerable but showing herself all the stronger for that vulnerability. I loved reading about her and everything that happened to her, and the narrator's voice really just made it even better.

The other characters did not disappoint either and, while a lot of the subject matter here is very dark (assassin school... so...), it was absolutely my style of humour and had me laughing out loud more than once.

Basically, I loved what Kristoff has created here, and I am so very interested with where he is going to be taking this series (trilogy? series? more please!).

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top