Book Review: Exquisite Corpse by Penelope Bagieu

Sunday, May 31, 2015
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...



Title: Exquisite Corpse
Author: Penelope Bagieu
Publication Date: May 5th 2015

Synopsis: "Zoe isn't exactly the intellectual type, which is why she doesn't recognise world-famous author Thomas Rocher when she stumbles into his apartment...and into his life.
Zoe doesn't know Balzac from Batman, but she's going to have to wise up fast...because Rocher has a terrible secret, and now Zoe is sitting on the literary scandal of the century."

My thoughts: This graphic novel has beautiful art, a really original storyline (at least, I haven't read it before) and a pretty surprise ending. I fell in love with the presentation of the book quite quickly, and really quite enjoyed the artwork. The tension within the book was built very nicely, despite it being quite short, and the characters were interesting, each very flawed in their own way, and all were fond of cats (I am happy with this!).

However, I do feel like a few things were just lost in translation a little bit - I felt like some decisions were made very suddenly with little explanation as to why, and I really think that the ending could have been investigated a little more - unless the author was going for blind-siding the reader as much as one of the characters. I just felt like I needed more and I didn't quite get it.

Despite my gripes, though, I do still like this book, and will be keeping it on my shelf to reread occasionally, just to enjoy the strange and wonderful associations and relationships that human beings can make in complex situations.


I received a review copy of this book from First Second Books (thank you!!).

You would like this book if: you enjoy French films and want to try some French graphic novel, too; you like seeing how crazy authors can get.

Rating:  7/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top