Book Review: The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty

Sunday, March 16, 2014
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...





Title: The Cracks in the Kingdom
Author: Jaclyn Moriarty
Series: The Colours of Madeleine Book Two
Publication Date: first published March 1st 2014

Synopsis: "Time slides around the world so strangely...
It's not easy being Princess Ko.
Her family is missing, taken to the World through Cracks in the Kingdom, which were then sealed tightly behind them.
Now Princess Ko is running the Kingdom, and war is looming.
To help her find her family, she gathers a special group of teens, including Elliot Baranski of the Farms. He's been writing secret letters to a Girl-in-the-World named Madeleine Tully - and now the Kingdom needs her help.
Madeleine and Elliot must locate the missing royals, convince them of their true identities, and figure out how to unlock the dangerous cracks between the Kingdom and the World.
All before their enemies stop them."

My thoughts: I have not read the first book in this series (A Corner of White), but let me tell you that I will most definitely try to after my experience with The Cracks in the Kingdom.

This book had me laughing out loud a few times with how excellent the characters are, and how wonderful their little habits are. I loved every character in Princess Ko's group of teens, and how individual they were - and, even more than that, I loved the different parts of the Kingdom and how Moriarty had designed them. 

As this is the second book in The Colours of Madeleine, I am reluctant to say very much about the plot, in case I spoil people (or spoil them further...), but I will say that this felt like entirely new YA to me. It had elements of other YA, but instead of following a traditional fantasy-YA stereotype, it managed to set out on its own and come up with a fabulous new story that feels beautiful and authentic, even when you're reading about Turquoise Rain and it's addictive qualities.

I can't wait for other people to get excited about this series (and to meet people that already are), because I think Moriarty has created something really excellent here. The only reason I don't give this book a full 10 out of 10 is because occasionally it felt like the story was dragging just a little, and I had to push through those parts to get to the next amazing piece of writing.

I received a copy of this book for review from Pan Macmillan.

You would like this book if: You like fantasy YA with a twist; you like quirky characters with excellent personality ticks.

Rating: 9/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top